Dear People of God,
One year ago in June 2020, we reopened our doors for Mass for the first time in three months after the early stages of the pandemic brought everything to a close. And now, a year later brings us to another major milestone of the pandemic. We are open for 100% capacity this weekend! I am so happy to welcome you back to Mass as we did before the pandemic…with a few caveats.
- Effective today, June 11, as our state and city enter Phase 5, we return to full capacity. All pews will be available for seating so sit wherever you would like!
- All of our doors are open – enter and exit through the doors on State Street, through the Courtyard, or from Superior Street.
- You no longer need to make a reservation for Mass. We have discontinued both reservations and check-in processes for Mass.
- For those who are vaccinated, you may attend Mass without a mask. If you are not vaccinated, please continue to wear a mask while in the Cathedral. We are using the honor system.
- We will provide hand sanitizer stations at each door for you to sanitize your hands as you enter the Cathedral. We will discontinue hand sanitizing before Communion.
The past fifteen months have been very difficult for so many – loss of family and friends to COVID-19, loss of jobs and financial stability, loss of physical connections with our family and friends – it is hard to believe that so much could be lost so quickly. Please know that our priests, deacons, sisters and our staff as well as your Faith Community are here to support you as we move into this “new normal”.
For those who are not ready to return to the Cathedral, we encourage you to remain connected with us through our livestreamed Masses (weekdays at 9:30am and Sundays at 10:00am) and virtual programs. You can also watch Cardinal Cupich on ABC-TV (Channel 7) every Sunday at 9:30am. We also have virtual programs like last Thursday’s Virtual Organ Concert and the upcoming Leonardo da Vinci & Sacred Art lecture series.
At this time, we will not be opening the rectory to the public but will update you when it is fully reopened. You can reach our receptionist by phone Monday – Saturday from 9:00am – 3:00pm at (312) 787-8040.
I do want to take a moment to thank our celebrants and staff, especially our Liturgy department, who have worked tirelessly throughout the past fifteen months to navigate our evolving COVID-procedures. And most importantly, our volunteers! Wow! You showed up day after day to help us welcome our Mass attendees and help them follow the many new procedures. In the truest sense, we couldn’t have done it without you!
Please join us in person or virtually this weekend as we celebrate the beginning of a new normal. Invite your friends and family to join you in celebration of this major milestone. My prayers are with all of you for a blessed, healthy and restful summer. Hope to see you soon!
Walking with you on the journey,